Welcome to the August 2015 issue of RMSConnect. Here’s what’s happening:
- RMS Flood Insights
- Coastal Flood Risk Links
- Save the Date: Inland Flood Risk Webinar, September 23
- RMS E-Learning on Owl
- September 10 CCRA Exam Registration Now Open
- New on Owl: Resources, Documentation, and Briefings
- Version 15.0 Resources
- RMS North Atlantic Hurricane Models Approved
- RMS Offshore Platform Industry Exposure Database — August Update
- RMS Europe Earthquake Models Brief
- Managing Flood Risk in Taiwan
- RMS Thought Leadership
- RMS in the News
- Insights From the RMS Blog
- August Speaking Engagements
RMS Flood Insights
Did You Miss Our July 30 Coastal Flood Risk Webinar?
Our “Risk on the Rise: Understanding and Managing Coastal Flood Risk” webinar was a deep dive on important considerations for coastal flood management. If you missed it—or if you attended and would like to share insights with colleagues—you can view materials now:
Save the Date: Inland Flood Risk Webinar, September 23
Our next flood-feature webinar is Wednesday, September 23, and will focus on managing inland flood risk. We’ll share more details as we get closer to the webinar date, but be sure to mark your calendar now.
RMS E-Learning on Owl
The RMS online learning team provides comprehensive, self-paced e-learning on a range of topics that support RMS products. More than 30 modules are now available, including interactive tours, try-it sections, and printable job aids. View multiple modules in sequence to understand a holistic workflow, or use as just-in-time learning for a specific function.
New content is added monthly, so please visit often. Current modules cover basic functionality of our software products, including Probabilistic Terrorism Model, as well as educational content on windstorm and earthquake modeling. Coming soon: modules supporting our version 15.0 release and Miu.
CCRA Exam Registration Now Open
Registration for the September 10 CCRA exam is open through August 27. For more information, go to the training page of RMS Owl. CCRA training program participants who have completed all coursework are eligible to register to take the exam.
New on Owl: Resources, Documentation, and Briefings
Version 15.0 Resources
Please visit and bookmark the version 15.0 resources page for continual updates and new information about available or upcoming version 15.0 resources.
RMS North Atlantic Hurricane Models Approved by Florida Commission
On June 30, 2015, the Florida Commission on Hurricane Loss Projection Methodology certified version 15.0 of the RMS North Atlantic Hurricane Models for use in residential rate filings with the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation. The certification will be valid until September 2017.
RMS Offshore Platform Industry Exposure Database — August Update
The 2015 RMS Offshore Platform Industry Exposure Database (IED) includes the most recent exposure data about mobile rigs. It will continue to be updated monthly throughout the 2015 North Atlantic Hurricane season. Clients who license this database can contact their account manager for access to the data files. Learn more about the RMS Offshore Platform IED here.
RMS Europe Earthquake Models Brief
The RMS Europe Earthquake Models are available for a wide variety of applications to effectively manage earthquake risk across the breadth of Europe. An executive briefing highlighting the use cases and benefits of the existing model suite is now available on OWL.
Managing Flood Risk in Taiwan
The RMS Taiwan High-Resolution Probabilistic Flood Maps and Scenario Catalog will be released later this year. Ahead of this release, you can read more in the executive briefing and scope of release, both available on RMS Owl.
RMS Thought Leadership
In the News
- Dr. Gordon Woo, Paul VanderMarck, and Peter Ulrich contributed to Lloyd’s new research report, created in collaboration with the Cambridge Centre for Risk Studies, on the impact a cyber attack would have on the U.S. power grid. Check out Canadian Underwriter for a great summary that quotes Andrew Coburn or download the full report here.
- Matthew Nielsen’s byline on the U.S. flood market was featured on the cover of Insurance Journal’s July issue as part of a special feature on disaster risk.
- Dr. Gordon Woo’s Q&A about catastrophic longevity was published on Politico.
Insights From the RMS Blog
August Speaking Engagements
Global Health Risk Framework: A Workshop on Pandemic Financing
August 27, 2015 to August 28, 2015
Institute of Medicine, Washington D.C.
Dr. Gordon Woo, catastrophe risk expert, presents on pandemic financing.